Thursday, March 1, 2012

Specimen Days: Entering a Long Farm-Lane

I am not entirely too sure how much walking down country lanes is a hobby. Yes it’s quite nice and lovely way to spend an afternoon, but as a hobby I don’t know. I do admire the way in which he has described the farm lane, being from the country myself I wish I had the ability he has for description. His use of natural characteristics in juxtaposed periods of the year such as, “apple blossoms in forward April,” and “pigs, poultry, a field of August buckwheat,” suggested that he has been walking and will be walking down farm lanes for some time. It also speaks to the many variations of beauty found in the natural setting. In one season the roadside is awash in apple blossoms, and in another the livestock and wheat strut out their own. This also is a little similar to the various descriptive lists in his poetry, and hints at how he may go about find inspiration for the various natural imagery that can be found in Leaves of Grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment